
The big reason we went to Granada was to visit the Alhambra. Mom and Dad like to read a lot of historical fiction and when I moved to Spain they expanded their literature to history books about the Iberian Penninsula. I knew as soon as they visited we would have to make a trip to the Alhambra. And they had precisely the reaction I was looking for: awe, inquiry, and utter appreciation for the depth of history and significance this site had on the fifteenth century. And they seemed to enjoy Granada too, despite the heat.

We made it to Granada! Wooo hooo!!

Not exactly sure what this face means... but in the Albaizín it could have been anything. We had stopped for a drink on a mosey through the stalls. This is where I got a new sundress and we purchased some earrings for my neice Greta's newly pierced ears.

It was god-awful hot. These dogs were happy suckers in this fountain.

We walked by this Basillica every day.

Walking up the Albaizín to the mirador. Well... actually we took a cab. But it was still really hot out.

View from the mirador.

My dish was particularly gorgeous, with bacalao, mashed potatoes, and fruit. Lovely.

Rabo del Toro--bull tail. Yummy!

Happy 40th Anniversary, Mom and Dad! What a romantic setting: looking over at the Alhambra and the Albaicín, seeing the lights of the city, music floating from the mirador above us, and having the daughter along. Funny.

The view of the city from the restaurant. Something about lamps with red shades makes me happy.

View of the restaurant after it got a bit darker.

We had the morning time-slot for the Alhambra. This time I had my lovely DSLR with telephoto. The pictures are much more rich.









All of the plaster-work was orginally painted in the traditional islamic colors: green, blue, yellow, and red. The last pigment to fade was blue, so you can catch glimses of blue here and there. In this particular room the light was indirect enough to preserve the reds and greens. For future reference, never take pictures at museums with your flash. If you see someone doing so, kindly remind them they are damaging the artwork.







All of the windows and outer walkways had spectacular views.





The Albaizín as seen from the Alhambra.

Entrance to the Generalife. (Pronounced:
)

Foundations of the officer's quarters.

Ramparts.

The bell is a vital part of Granada's history. They rang the bell to orchestrate the irrigation, proclaim victories in battle, and warn of comming danger.

Ramparts with the lovely Cathedral below.

Outside the palace of Carlos V. He demolished part of the Nazarine palace to build his own Renaissance monstrosity. It would be much more impressive if it wasn't so out of place next to all the delicate islamic architecture.

Dad offered to be my camera assistant since he left all the photo taking up to Mom and I. He was always at hand to help me switch lenses and even kept my lens cap in his pocket. What a guy! Go team! We had it down to a science.

We're adorable.

The bell. It's big. They're adorable too.

Looking out over the Generalife to the Alhambra.


Garden at the Generalife. I had to share some pictures with Mom because by this time I was so exhausted I stopped checking the settings on my camera and nearly everything ended up over-exposed. Whoops.

The water railings in the Generalife.

Mom and I in the garden of the Generalife overlooking the Alhambra on the other side of the valley.

The sultana's garden in the summer palace of the Generalife.

Wow. The Alhambra took way longer than we thought. Too much beauty!!

Making our escape after disappointing our hosts with our late check out. ¡Adios!
No comments:
Post a Comment