Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pride Madrid


Pride Weekend in Madrid kicked off with a packed parade. Gran Via was swimming with crowds of rainbow colored revelers and folks sporting World Cup Spain gear. Drum corps, drag queens, and group after group of civil rights activists danced down the street. Signs protesting the church's prejudice of the LGBT community and flags of the different regions of spain coupled with the rainbow flags flying high. It was a good deal of fun, whole families coming out to support the gay community and show a little bit of red and yellow for the big game later.








My camera is broken still. The lens is slow, often doesn't focus, and makes a horrible scratching noise whenever I try to zoom in or out. Therefore, getting the queens' faces was extraordinarily difficult. However, I did manage to get a few.


This little girl and I made friends. She'd give me the biggest smiles and watch my LCD screen as I took pictures above the crowd.









There were a ton of "triangle men" at Pride. These guys are so built on top that they're shaped like triangles. It was a total beef-cake festival and kind of adorable to see all the beefy couples walking down the street taking pictures with the queens.


People from the balconies above the street would dump buckets of water on the crowd below to cool everyone off. It was rather pretty to see the sparkling showers fly several stories down to soak the sweating people below.



No comments: