Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Camino a mi casa

As I stumbled home last night, a street performer got off the train right ahead of me. He's one of the "statues" who pose on street corners, startling onlookers when someone drops a coin into their can. He was dressed as a street cleaner: old-timey hat, jacket, and broom. All were painted with a green-gold effect to look like oxidized copper. His dapper clothes and jaunty walk made me smile.

Following him out of the metro I heard him huming, "Hmmmm! HmmHmm! Hmmm!" as he cheerfully bounced along. His gait was unhurried, yet I still had trouble keeping up with him. I bustled behind him, curious.

His pants, so full of paint, were creased and stiff. His arms were swinging like a toy soldier from Babes in Toyland, and the hair peeking out from under his hat was coppery orange. The "Hmm Hmmm Hmm!" was cheerful as ever. As I kept step behind him, I watched the faces of the people strolling in the other direction. As they passed the green man, their faces lit up with cozy smiles and giggles. Heads turned, surprised and happy. Wave after wave of happiness crashed up against the green man as he swam upstream on calle San Bernardo.

A little girl holding her father's hand stopped by the shoe store to admire the green street cleaner as he hummed and tapped his broom while he sauntered past. I skipped a step or two to keep up with him. But as I reached the corner, the light turned and I had to stop and watch as he turned down another street and disappeared.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the story Ms. Forslund
nice pictures, you were a good teacher to all of us.

Jamie said...

Thanks Anonymous (and I'm sure, fabulous) student! It's hard to even come close to describe how much I enjoyed teaching you guys this year. Have an awesome summer and keep in touch.