Thursday, March 25, 2010

"If you find yourself caught in love...

Send a prayer to the man above." --Belle and Sebastian

I just got back from a Solochics concert. The band is comprised of two faculty members at my school, an alumnus, and one awesome drummer who is american born but spanish by nature. The crowd was full of people I work with, people I know through people I work with, and friends and family of the band mates.

Looking out at the crowd as Trish crooned and wailed out the lines to "Find Somebody to Love" I watched the newly reunited (after an ugly separation) married couple dancing cozily, the pregnant belly of the guitar player's girlfriend and high school sweetheart, the joyous dancing of the bass player's wife of ten years or more, the wild-girl dancing of the friend whose boyfriend always stays home, the patient hovering of the man next to the friend who dumped him because he needed to get his life together, the bittersweet reunion of the friend with her on-again off-again boyfriend near the bar, the sweet glances of the woman waiting for her boyfriend to propose.... And I felt the sway of the crowd press the body of the man behind me against my back--a guy who has flirted with me since I moved here.

Trish's voice packs a punch, and Livio watched her with a healthy dose each of sadness and pride--the breakup still raw. Through all the rejection and awkward moments, it's easy to forget that when love and lust are involved someone has to hold the power. The Solochics jammed to tunes full of feminine strength and sexuality while the men in the audience stood in awe of the women dancing and singing around them. The women who've dumped them, who've caught them, who've held their interest or supported them through years of friendship or marriage. My male friends keep telling me what tonight became so obvious: we ladies have no idea the havoc we reap.


No comments: