Monday, March 22, 2010

Augusto Emerita circa 1 AD



Susan and I spent the San Jose puente in Merida, a small town in Extremadura near the Spain/Portugal border. We marveled at roman ruins, ate way too much rich food, and enjoyed greek yogurt gelato. And it barely even rained--lucky us!


Check out the stork on the roof. They were everywhere and reminded me of the blue herons back home.



Plaza de Toros.


Susan makes a great bullfighter.


Standing in the entrance to the amphitheater. It was sprinkling a little.

Temple of Diana cat.


Me, being Diana for the Temple of Diana.


Huh... Someone doesn't like tourists.


The theater. Amazing reconstruction from original pieces.



The amphitheater was way cool too.


Roman ruins aren't as interesting when you're little.


Mosaic floor.

Roman oven foundation.


Burning myself on the oven. I also have a picture of me sticking my head in the oven like Sylvia Plath and another with me baking bread (with actual baguette that I was carrying around for a snack). Surprisingly, this one was the most flattering.


The foundation of the bath house. The arches would have held up the floor and let hot air circulate beneath the floor.


The original painted walls of a roman house. I was amazed at how long the paint lasted. I wonder what they used for red and orange--usually that's the first range of colors to fade and blue is the last.


The theater at night.



We stumbled upon a balloon release symbolizing the 1000 reasons why not to have an abortion. It was a cool idea (though I'm more pro-choice than not) but I couldn't get past the ecological implications. I wanted to shout at them about all the creatures that would choke and die from ingesting the balloons once they fall back to earth.


Each balloon had a note attached written by a child saying their favorite parts of being alive.



Letting the balloons go.



Watching balloons fly away.



Breakfast each morning was a nepolitana chocolate and zumo naranja natural. Yum.


This restaurant was so good we went there twice. It's a bull-fighting enthusiast bar and the tap is shaped like a bull head. So classy.


The bus ride was gorgeous: stormy clouds and fields of clover.


Bodega Osborne (sherry maker) has these billboards up all over Spain. They're my favorite part about taking the bus.

No comments: