I spent the weekend of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in Palma on the island of Mallorca. It's a beautiful island and a great city.
Notice the layers: old rooftops of the Center, masts at the marina, newer high-rises, parkland, castle, mountains.
Palma at night in December is a wonderland of lights.
A museum.
An open air play that was pretty elaborate. This girl had major problems getting her men to show up to her wedding....
A curious side pool next to the Cathedral. Everything was closed down for the holiday (the Feast of the Immaculate Conception as well as Constitution Day) and so we weren't able to go into the museums and learn about the buildings more. Next time!
The flying buttresses of the Cathedral. I wish I remembered more from Art History about the different parts of a cathedral, but flying buttresses are a term one is unlikely to forget.
Katie and I pose in front of the Mediterranean. Funny, you can't really see it in the glare of the cloudy day. The diamond patterned thing in the background is a shade for when it's sunny. Below they have chairs set up for performances. These shades are put up in the streets of Madrid through the summer and provide quite a bit of relief from the sun.
Guess what, Eric? Smurf turds really are blue! I took this picture at the Christmas Fair in Plaza Mayor. This stall was long, maybe 15 feet, and full of hundreds of figures "poppin' a squat." There were signs asking you not to take a picture but I was brave and bold. Unfortunately the guy caught me before I could get a picture of Bush and Obama having a moment together.
Soller
Soller
The lines you see on the sides of the mountain are the terraces for fruit trees. Picking the fruit must be quite a chore as the terraces are only wide enough to fit one tree and the walls are usually a few feet high.
This is Soller from above.
The coolest window display ever. And yes, that is a bede.
No comments:
Post a Comment