Sunday, November 9, 2008

Election Night at the Circulo de Bellas Artes

Alea's shot of us when Florida was won.


GOBAMA!


A "Fake" Virginian and me.


When my group arrived at the Circulo the entire block was crowded with at least 1,000 people. We waited 2.5 hours to get in to the smelly, disorganized party. I had been looking forward to the party for ages and organized getting advance tickets for a bunch of people on our staff. By the time I got into the party most of my friends (with advance tickets!) had given up and gone home.


That's right, I watched the election in a Ballroom with a giant chandelier. They also had the roof open, but none of those pictures turned out.


It was incredible how many people showed up to this party--many of them Spanish. The Republican party was held at the Hard Rock Cafe, it would be interesting to see how many Spanish people were there. In the days following the election, if someone heard me or my friends speaking English they would make a comment like, "Obama muy bueno" and I even saw an Obama pin on my Dutch waitress this weekend. The Democrats Abroad were totally unprepared for the massive crowds trying to get in to their party. They sold 2,000 tickets before the party and at least 1,000 people showed up to buy tickets that night. I don't fully understand the impact of American politics and economy on the world, but it's incredible how nervously the world holds its breath when the US holds its elections.

No comments: