Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cuidado


I just went to the Democrats Abroad reshowing of the last Presidential Debate. All this time I've been researching policies on the candidates' websites, watching the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and checking out little things on CNN.com and the BBC. I've been giving McCain the benefit of the doubt, knowing that he's done some good in his life and recognizing that Obama isn't always the most seasoned of politicians. Molly SD has been telling me to watch Obama speak. I kept putting it off, preferring to read. I was still against nearly all McCain's policies, and every time I read Obama's policies I agreed most of the time. But tonight I was blown away. This debate was very similar to the debates I watched when Gore was running against Bush back in 2000. Only this time Barak is even more specific in his policies and he makes a great deal of sense. McCain is increasingly desperate and insisted on using confusion and soundbites rather than the straight talk he promised over and over in his political ads.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, thanks Molly, you were right all along. Obama was consistant with his policies and focused on the issues rather than attacking McCain's character or responding to his more ridiculous allegations. And for all of you that I know are probably going to vote for Obama and especially those of you who have been volunteering your time for the Democratic Party, I want to thank you for standing up for the middle class. As a woman who would like to be trusted with her own decisions concerning reproductive rights, as a former employee who did not receive heath care benefits or a living wage, as a former employee of small businesses, as a college graduate who is feeling the crunch of student loans, and as an American abroad experiencing the benefits and pitfalls of "European socialism", I thank you.

And yes, "European socialism" (especially in its relative newness here in Spain) has its troubles. But it's pretty amazing to know that you'll be taken care of if you're ever the slightest bit ill--and no matter how long you are too ill to go to work. Also if you're visiting Spain and have to go to the emergency room you don't have to pay a dime, no matter where you are from.

Wouldn't it be great to have a president and vice president who know what it's like to live on less than $100,000 a year? (Good grief, that's a lot of money!) I love that Obama knows and emphasizes that 95% of Americans make less than $250,000 a year and they are the people who need tax cuts. And all McCain would say was that Obama was raising taxes. Sigh. I hope people were listening carefully enough.

Okay. This concludes my political weekend. I should stop, look around, and mentally move back to Spain. It's a beautiful night and tomorrow will be a beautiful day.

No comments: