I awoke Saturday morning to a strange noise. Confused, I held my breath and listened closely. A chill breeze blew in from the street and brought in a sharp, metallic scent. The white roar increased and spatter joined in, making my room sound like the bathroom. RAIN! I took a moment to watch the thick raindrops spatter and revel in this new phenomenon. My neighbor watered her plants and swept her balcony clean (pictured in previous posting with images of my neighborhood at night). Trash from Friday night's revelry floated in the streams on either side of the street. Rain in Madrid.
Later, walking to the metro, I didn't have to wrinkle my nose once! Usually the smell of the street turns my stomach but the rain temporarily washed the yuck away. Sigh... if only every morning began in such a beautiful fashion.
Thursday was our first day of school. The children are very cute, fortunately. I have a lot to learn. Second grade is very much like babysitting--just keep their attention! Don't give them too much freedom or they'll walk all over you; don't stifle them either! Grrrrrrr! Recess duty and lunch duty are officially humbling. Most of the children have charming accents and names like Vittoria or Guiangualberto. Hey, what's up Guiangualberto? Que pasa? I dunno, it's just always going to be a mouthful. You'd think he'd prefer Guian or Alberto, but no.
I can't say I look forward to tomorrow, the weekend was terribly satisfying. However, for seventy cents I can get a delicious cafe con leche to brighten my morning. Wish me luck!
Love-love.
The Last Day
19 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment